Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2013 Nelson Family Rules Update

So I posted a couple years back about how in our marriage we have enacted The Nelson Family Rules and I wanted to update those that were interested in the additions and more importantly I use this blog to keep record of these rules so we are accountable to them. 

As a side note, I guess in 2012 Brian and I never argued or disagreed and he was so perfect because I didn't make a rule for that year! (Said in slight jest.)

Okay, so now to last year's rules.

Christina's 2013 Rule:

Brian is not allowed to put soda cans in the freezer. Because of this and many other incidents. But of course Brian has already found a loophole to this rule. We were at our friends house hanging out and he put sodas in THEIR freezer! He claimed that the rule only precluded OUR freezer, but I think having a soda can explode in your friends freezer is much worse than your own! 

Brian's 2013 Rule:

We have to make and follow a monthly budget. This rule I have been avoiding, but I know we need! When we were students we hardly made money and when you are taking out school loans we were always in the red. Though the loans were expected and planned for, it's not fun to budget when you have no money and are actually negative money! For those several years our budgeting basically meant just don't spend money unless we have to buy food, shelter, insurance, gas, etc.! But now that we have passed that phase of life and Brian has a job and we are no longer students, it's time to budget and become debt free. Our plan is to become 100% debt free by 2016.

So now we are accountable to keep these rules and hopefully even more disagreements can be avoided in our marriage! Wish us luck!


3 comments:

  1. So, first, do you have to keep all prior year's rules forever? And, second, yay for budgeting! You know I love me some budgeting rules!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love hearing about your family rules and how they are going. Budgeting is so so hard sometimes! But definitely necessary.

    Also I love your family photo on the side - you have such a beautiful family! And your hair is so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the rules last forever, which seems a little scary because they will only keep accumulating! But maybe over time the older rules will become so routine they won't feel like rules anymore... I guess we'll see about that!

    And yesterday, we did our first monthly budget and we didn't have any arguments -- only consensus. So we are off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete