Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Thoughts on Prayer

A couple weeks ago, I was at my local gas station getting a Diet Coke on tap (the best way to enjoy a soda!) and at checkout, the woman asked me how my day was going. Typically when asked this type of question, I just reply positively and say that my day is going well. But on this particular morning I was feeling more honest and I replied that my day wasn't going very well and that I was on my way to the hospital with my baby for her to have surgery. The woman offered her sympathies, and to my surprise, she asked for my daughter's name so she could pray for her.

I was so touched by this and the whole day I could not get this conversation out of my head. I was so impressed with this woman's tenacity and faith. I have a strong belief in God and in prayer, but for some reason I am timid when it comes to offering prayers for others. I have often expressed, "Our thoughts and prayers are with you" but often only to people I know. I am not intending to say that I am insincere in my offering to pray for others, but rather I am shy about it. I think I am nervous to let people I don't know, know that I believe in God and the power of prayer. And I just want to shake myself for being like that. I feel ashamed that I have been reserved in this way, especially since I was so comforted by this woman's demonstration of faith and love.

I hope in the future, I can see beyond myself and be willing to aid and give comfort to another, whether it be in prayer or in another way. But to not fear rejection or embarrassment, because I know the positives far outweigh any of that!

And as a side note, I just love this little girl of mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment