Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Closet Tours

We've been in our house for over a year and I finally got around to organizing our closets. I finished mine and James' and Brian's is still in transition. Before, Brian and I were sharing the closet in our room and for part of my birthday present he volunteered to move his things to the smaller guest room closet and give me my own! I hadn't even thought of having my own, but I like the idea now! What a great hubby! 

Disclaimer: So if you don't like seeing home decor things you might hate this blog post, but I like seeing how other people organize their homes. So you can use this as a reference or just for fun (or close the window if you hate it).

I started in James' room. Before (sorry no ugly before picture - just imagine) James's clothes and things were just shoved in the closet and I would shut the doors and not worry about it. But it finally got to me! Here is the organized closet:



Pants and nicer shirts are hung with matching white hangers. Folded on the shelf are nice sweaters so they don't stretch. Lounge wear and tees are also folded on the shelf. I also store some shoes, books, diapers and wipes, decorations, and a few other things on the rest of the shelving. The shelving was already installed when moved in, but we have adjusted some and taken some out and moved some of the shelving around for our needs. 

My closet (Thanks for moving out Brian!):





We have the same white shelving system in here. I store most of my wardrobe in here - tops, bottoms, skirts, dresses, jackets, winter coats, shoes, scarves, and the gun. Yes, gun! Brian wants to put a wall safe in here. But that sounds like an Indian Giver to me... (Remember that Seinfeld episode when Jerry keeps making Native American references, just a funny, random thought! Funny episode though.) We also have the clothes hamper in here and out of the way. I'm not crazy about the shape of the closet - it's L shaped, but I tried to  make the most of the space. 



We also have these two dressers in our master bedroom. The one on the top stores delicates, socks, tanks, and sweaters that I don't want hung up so they keep their shape. And all my jewelry and perfumes are on top. The other dresser (which desperately needs some decorating on top) has my workout clothes, lounge wear, maternity clothes, and the clothes I sell. For those of you that don't know I sell clothes on eBay. Some of the things are clothes of mine that no longer fit (from weight gain and weight loss) and things I just don't wear anymore. I also sell things that I find at thrift stores. Here in Vegas I have had tons of success finding nice, high-end clothes at thrift stores that I have been able to flip and some I keep for myself! Don't be too embarrassed to try out thrift shopping! If my clothes weren't bought at Target or Wal-Mart, I probably got it secondhand! You'll be surprised what things people give away! Just last week I found this St. John leather jacket for $14. Hard to beat that price!


Happy organizing and thrift shopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment