Saturday, July 28, 2012

Third class driving beats first class walking


My car broke down (and I mean it's really dead) three weeks ago. We still have Brian's car but he uses it to drive to work and I can't even drive it if I wanted to because it's manual. (And believe me I've tried to learn, but it always ends with me crying and then having nightmares later that night of stalling while turning left in a major intersection and getting into an accident! Brian (and my dad) have backed off about the issue.)

My car's current state (which is dead)

During the day I try to get out of the house with James because we both get cabin fever if we stay home all day. So we go on long walks almost everyday. We will go to the grocery store, the park, or out to lunch somewhere cheap. But everything is at least a mile away and then a mile back home. I do enjoy walking around town, it's good exercise and I get some sun, but I certainly do miss a working car.

So during my walks I've been thinking about the adage "third class driving beats first class walking". This was taught to me by me grandfather and also my father who were/are famously (among family and friends) known for their modest and conservative choices in transportation. I've always admired this about them, especially how they have no embarrassment and are never bothered by other peoples' opinions.

We are so grateful and feel so blessed for the things that we do have, which at this point is one working car and my two working legs!


1 comment:

  1. I love this. I'm grateful for our family's wise words :)

    ReplyDelete