Monday, February 2, 2015

Be still and know that I am God


With the birth of each child, it seems our life has progressively gotten busier. Currently I am usually busy on the merry-go-round of feeding, changing, cuddling babies. This of course was expected, but no less hectic. One of my favorite passages from the scriptures is, "Be still, and know that I am God." (Psalms 46:10). I love this scripture because it reminds me to take a step back and pause. My natural pace tends to be fast, busy and on the brink of neurotic. Remembering this scripture helps me to actively search for quiet times for reflection or at least grasp onto the moments that do happen. You can't avoid all the chaos --- like the craziness we have on Sunday mornings since church was changed from 1 PM to starting at 9 AM!

The other day I took the kids to the park and James ran around from thing to thing and I stood by watching with the girls in their covered car seats in the stroller. It was such a beautiful, warm day with the sun shining. I also don't get out much in nature because of Christina's light sensitivity, but she was tolerating it on this day. (I cover her stroller completely with two blankets so no light can get in and even with that she is annoyed by the light, but can at least deal with it.) I remember standing there with the sun shining down on my face and I put my hand under Christina's covers to check on her and she reached out and held my hand. This experience was a seemingly sweet and simple one but its impact on me was much greater. I had this overwhelming feeling of peace and love. In this moment I felt the love of God in my life. I am so grateful I was able to slow down and enjoy this moment that could have easily passed me by.


No comments:

Post a Comment