Thursday, November 7, 2013

Christina's Blessing Day


This past Sunday was Christina's blessing day. We had lots of family and friends come and celebrate our sweet Christina and her blessing day. 







Her bonnet was a bonnet that I wore as a baby. Her blessing dress was given to me by my dear Auntie Arla who bought it for me for when I had a baby girl! (She got it super on sale at the Talbot's Kids store closing when I was still in high school!)








Her little feet are so tiny in newborn socks!


Her blessing was beautiful and wonderful. In the Mormon Church, a baby blessing is performed to give a baby an official name and to give a blessing for the child's spiritual and physical welfare. My husband, Brian, blessed Christina. Her blessing was different than most baby blessings because of her own unique challenges. Sometimes when I ponder her life and what it will be, I feel sorrow because I know she will not marry and she will not have children. She will always be dependent on others for her care. Her life will be simple. Even though I sometimes feel a deep sadness about this, I know this life is just a moment in her existence. I know Heavenly Father loves her and wants her to be happy. Because Christ died on the cross and was resurrected, I know Christina's physical challenges are only part of this life and that she will eventually receive a perfected body. 

This was her blessing (As much as I could remember):

Our Heavenly Father, by the power of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood which we hold, and in the name of Jesus Christ, we take this infant in our arms to give her a name and a blessing. The name which she will be known on the records of the church and throughout her life is Christina Lois Nelson.

Christina, firstly, remember that the name you bear is a heritage of wonderful, righteous women.

Your coming to this earth was a miracle.

I bless you to have patience. Have patience to endure trials. Have patience to those close to you. Have patience with your broken body.

Christina, I bless you to find joy in living. Strive to become a righteous woman.

In this lifetime it is likely you will not be baptized or receive your endowment or marry in the temple. But because of Christ’s Atonement you will be able to receive all these blessings. Prepare yourself for the day that you will enter into these covenants.

And lastly, I bless you to have charity, which is the pure love of Christ. Look to your Savior as the ultimate example.


And this we do in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment