Thursday, December 1, 2011

This past week I went to the Hoover Dam with my church's youth group and we were given a behind the scene tour of the dam after hours. Maybe I'm such a nerd but I thought this was so awesome. We learned about the history of the dam and its construction during the Great Depression. We also learned how it worked and what it does today compared to years past. Most of its function today is generating electricity, but it also controls the flow of water to California. 



This view is from the top looking down to the dam


 This view is looking straight at the dam (The top of the structure in this picture is where I took the previous picture from.)




These pictures show the hydrolic turbine generators and they are pretty amazing to see and interesting to learn about. I found it especially cool because I grew up in Schenectady and my dad works for GE in Schenectady where these generators were made. Pretty awesome, eh?






No comments:

Post a Comment