Saturday, May 7, 2011

Standard Deviations, ŷ, and Derivatives


After finishing Biology 100 through BYU’s Independent Study a few weeks ago, I’ve been plugging away on my last class Statistics 121 so I can finally graduate. I put it off and off while I was still at the Y because it never fit in my schedule with work and because honestly I was a little scared to take it. But it’s actually not that bad and I seem to be doing quite well in it. I only need to get a passing grade to graduate, but of course I’m aiming a little higher than that. I am learning a bunch and getting a lot out of it. I guess it never hurts to brush up on finding standard deviations, ŷ, and derivatives. And in no time James will be in high school asking me for help in pre-calculus, so I better get prepared!

While I was pregnant I was trying to finish school as fast as I could so I would be done before James was born but it didn’t quite work out. I just had Biology and Statistics left that I had not finished. (And as one of my high school teachers put it to me, if I hadn’t slacked off in high school I could have done more AP classes and would already be done!) But I didn’t know then that I would be married and have a baby so soon and need to hurry through school. Well, maybe I did...

But the day that I delivered James was the same day that summer classes started at BYU and I was signed up to take my last two classes. James wasn’t even three minutes old when I my asked my OB if I could leave in a couple hours because my biology class was at noon. He of course laughed (I’m sure used to young Utah moms with similar requests) and suggested that I not go. I decided to take his medical advice, though I was kind of asking in jest and I was better able to focus on my new bundle of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment